Sunday, August 2, 2009

You have to get down!

"Hey! Grab my hand," I yell over the music to my friend who is on top of the table. It's nearing last call, and I can no longer dance properly because the floor is so sticky from all the spilled drinks.

She kicks aside a glass, and I leverage myself on top of a bar stool and hoist myself up to join her.

Much better...

We've started a trend. It happens almost every night around closing time; girls hoisting themselves on top of tables in order to have a final 'hooray' before they kick us out. One by one we see the ladies popping up over the heads in the crowd ~ much to the delight of the horny guys dancing below them.

Life is good, I think to myself; all the while trying to maintain my balance. I'm double-fisted with Rye and gingers -- and I don't have to think about thesis papers or exams for another 5 weeks or so.

"Woo hoo!" my friend shrieks, as one of her favourite songs comes on. The bouncers begin to walk towards us and we conveniently look away and ignore them.

"You go girl!" one of the guys yells from below us and hands us each other drink. I now have to somehow manage three glasses in 4 inch heels, a mini skirt, and 8 inches of dance space on top of the table that we're on.

"Cheers," I say back to him and continue to bounce hips with my friend who is in heaven. We can always count on this bar to play the best music ~ especially near closing time.

I feel something tap on my leg - but I ignore it. I know it's one of the bouncers trying to get my attention so he can tell me to get down. It's a little game we play. They try and tell me to get down, and I pretend I can't hear them.

He walks around to the other side to try and make eye contact, but my friend and I are one step ahead of him; and so -- strategically, we turn our backs to him at the exact right moment and play dumb a bit more.

"You have to get down," I hear him yell over the music, but he's suddenly drowned out by the DJ who announces; "lllllllllllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast song of the night!"

We clink our glasses and I strategically bend over to place one of my empty glasses on the table top. I now have 6 inches of dance space. I'm a little tipspy, but I manage to realigne myself and resume my post. This last song is one of my favourites, and it will always always remind me of this time in my life -- I just know it.

"Hey!" another bouncer says. They've tag teamed us. I play dumb and smile and waive at him as if he's just trying to say 'hi' to me or something.

"Hey! You have to get down!" he yells over the music. I'm not too concerned. It's the last song of the night, so if he wants to waste his time he's more than welcome to. I ignore him and begin dancing with my friend again. We're in our own little world.

"Hey!" he yells, "GET DOWN FROM THERE! I KNOW YOU CAN HEAR ME!"

I turn around and say the next line in my little routine, "What?"

"Get down from there!" he yells over the music.

I continue to bop along and say my next brilliant line, "Whhhaaat?"

He falls for this a few more times, and I finally do a hand gesture that says I can't hear you, then I shrug my shoulders and continue to dance. He stands there frustrated -- and the music plays on.

I'm not too concerned about this bouncer. He's kind of a wimp, and besides -- there's only another 30 seconds or so left in the night before they herd all of us onto the street to stumble home.

"I love this song!" my friend yells at me over the music.

"I know," I yell back. And with that, we suck back whatever is left in our glasses, and continue to bop hips with each other while the song fuels our obstinacy. The dance floor climaxes; as all dance floors do when the last song of a great night out only has seconds left to play. And as I tilt my head back and stare at the ceiling top; I smile. Because nights like these won't last forever. But for now, in the moment, I'm maximizing my delight. Paying hommage to the music and the good times with my friends, before we all finish University and go our separate ways.