Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Texas Hold 'Em

The river is showing 3 Queens.

I look at my hand; I have 1 Queen, 2 Aces, a 10 and a Jack. I look to my pile of chips. It's much larger than his. I've been betting more than him all night; and our piles reflect that. I sense he's getting slightly agitated. Part of me thinks he wishes I would relax a bit. But, I can't help it. I'm having way too much fun.

"I'm all in" I say, confidently.

He looks surprised.

"All in? Are you sure you want to do that?" he says.

"Yep!" I say enthusiastically. I really don't have a very good poker face.

He's been playing this game a lot longer than I have. He's sat across from many girls at this table. So, given my elated enthusiasm, I'm pretty sure he doubts that I'm bluffing.

I look back at the river. There are three hearts; the 8, the 9, and the Queen. Which means, at this point -- the only way he could win is to have a Jack and 10 of hearts in his hand. I look back at my hand. I have a Jack and 10; but not of hearts. One is a club, and the other is a spade.


Could he have the Jack and 10?

It's probable.

He hesitates. I'm not exactly sure why. I think he knows that I only need one card -- the Queen, to win. And I have it.

He takes a long look at me, then looks back at his cards.

"I fold," he says before placing his cards face down in front of him. At first I'm happy with my victory -- but then he gets up to walk away; and I'm left alone at the table.

I start raking the chips towards me.

Maybe he's a sore loser? I think as I start to shuffle them into piles and figure out just exactly how much money I've won. A few minutes go by and the room becomes eerily quiet as I sit there and count. I look across the table -- at his cards. They're only an arm's reach away.

Since he's left the table, I shrug my shoulders and think What's the harm? as I reach across and grab his cards. I've already won...

I turn them over one by one. The first one is an 8 of clubs. The second a King. The third, also a King. I turn the remaining two over and see that they are both Kings as well. He had 4 Kings.

He won...

I sit there for a moment and contemplate why he would fold his cards? I look at the large pile of money in front of me. By going all in -- I would have wiped him out. But since he had the cards to beat me; had he matched me -- the game would have continued.

So why did he fold?

I sit and think about the game a bit longer. Why couldn't he see my raise and then take away half my chips? Why didn't he want to play anymore?

I shake my head as I grab my purse and step away from the table. For whatever reason, he couldn't go all in. Doing so would ensure that he would have to play the game a lot longer -- with me. Maybe once he saw that I was all in; that I was willing to play the game to the end, he lost interest?

Who knows?

As I walk away with my pile of chips, I feel slightly defeated. I liked playing the game with him. I could have played it all night.

If only he would've gone all in.