Wednesday, July 22, 2009

A blissful afternoon in the sun

The water laps up against the tire; it's cool, but refreshing at the same time. The sun burns into the black rubber and heats up the underside of my knees, as I lay there, outstretched on the dingy; floating in the lake.

It's just after lunchtime, so my stomach is heavy with hamburgers. The heat bounces off my shoulders and runs down my back. I cup one of my hands and dip it into the lake to pour some water on my shoulder blades and, hopefully, delay a burn.

I look up. Not a cloud in the sky. Most of the other cottagers have gone home, so, it's just us. Hanging by the water's edge -- soaking up the sun and allowing the beer and burgers to settle.

I readjust my hat, and pour some more lake water onto the tire, before I lay back. The water temporarily nullifies the heat that the tire collects. I bob along and listen to the sound of the lake slowly lapping up against the rocks. Through the tiny pours in my straw hat I can see the sky -- blue and perfect. There are minimal clouds.

From time to time, I hear the sound of a bird calling in the distance. And every so often, my tire bounces more furiously as the wake from a motorboat rolls underneath me. But, otherwise, it's peaceful. Quiet. Still.

You wade over to me with another beer. I reach out my lazy arm and grab it -- while simultaneously passing back the empty can that was resting on my belly. There's not a care in the world on this particular afternoon. No agenda. No concern. Only the sound of the water lapping up against the shore; and the odd bird.

I take a moment to inspect the landscape around the perimeter of the lake. Cottages dot the shoreline every few hundred meters. Tall coniferous trees stand at attention; guarding the properties and waiting for their weekend occupants to return.

I rest the cold beer can against my leg to feel the juxtaposition of the ice cold metal against my hot skin. It's jarring - but nice.

And as I dip my toes in the clear water and use them to propel me back towards you, I crack open my beer -- and enjoy the moment for what it is; a blissful afternoon in the sun. One without promises or expectations. Zen in every way imaginable. And completely void of the cruelties of reality.