Monday, July 6, 2009

The Rapist - Pt. 3

I'm sitting at my desk staring at one of my text books. Once in a while I highlight a phrase or passage -- exams are a few days away and so, even though I would rather be anywhere else, I'm sitting here quietly in my dorm. I guess you could call it studying? Does staring at a book count as studying?

No Doubt is playing in the background quietly. The hall is pretty silent. I think everyone is studying...either that or they're sleeping. I stand and walk to my window. Fog begins to form around the edges. I touch the glass with my hand and feel the cold. Winter has begun. I can smell the snow. The air is cold, and if I look really closely into the dark night there are hints of snow blowing in the wind.

I look down to the sidewalk. The streets are empty. Only the light from a lamppost graces the sidewalk. Soon snow will cover the now dying grass.

I stare out the window a bit longer. It seems I'll do anything to procrastinate studying. I survey the street below for a few more seconds before turning back to my desk.

The sound of my foot tapping nervously on the ground while I read is the only sound I can hear. A few moments ago I thought I heard someone in the hall. I've kept my door slightly ajar; on the off-chance that someone is around -- and they might want to distract me for a few moments. Impromptu visits are nice when your mind isn't really focused on the task at hand.

But no one is around...the libraries don't close for a few more hours. It's only the early evening; winter darkness has set a couple of hours ago. The long dark night is here to stay.

I continue to read -- turning pages without absorbing what I just skimmed over. I'll have to make notes and go back over this chapter later on; when I'm more focused. I stare back out my window. The darkness turns the glass into a mirror and -- almost clear as day I can see the reflection of myself sitting at my desk. In the background I see my door; slightly ajar. Beyond it is the main doors to the stairwell.

Why did I think someone was around? I wonder as I stare out the window. Maybe it was just wishful thinking? I've been sitting here since well after dinner -- and I could probably use a break from it all. Studying unproductively can be very draining.

But, something has caught my eye in the window. I'm not sure what it is. I look at the reflection a bit more closely. Nothing. No one. Just me staring back at me.

I shake my head. Maybe, I do need a break. I continue to stare out the window -- half daydreaming; half scrutinizing. Something has caught my attention. I turn around to survey my room -- it's empty. But just then, the hairs begin to stand up on the back of my neck.

Something is wrong.

I look back at the window because I'm too afraid to approach the door. I pretend that I'm daydreaming because the reflection of me is so very clear. It's as if a greater instinct has kicked in.

I survey my slightly ajar door. For a second I don't notice anything out of the ordinary -- but then I see it. My eyes go to the top of the reflection; light is streaming through the crack in the door. My eyes drag down the seam in the door to realize that the light is blocked about 8 inches or so from the top of the door. It takes me a moment to understand that someone is standing in my doorway; hiding behind the slightly ajar door -- and staring at me through the crack.

I move my seat back loudly and quickly walk towards my door. It knocks closed as he bolts away. Before I can open the door -- I hear the slam of the main doors just outside and hurried steps running down the stairs. I race to the top railing and look down the stairs to see half his jacket before I hear another slam -- this one of the basement door exit. He's gone.

My heart is racing a bit. How long was he standing there?

I'm completely freaked out. I walk back to my desk, grab my books and head to the library. There should be some people there studying. Part of me thinks my imagination has gotten the better of me -- but I know better than to seep craziness into common sense.

I lock my door behind me (something I've never done before) and double-check it three times to make sure it is locked before I head down the stairs. I stomp loudly to scare away anyone who might be lurking at the bottom.

I know that in a few moments I'll be in the library, with other people. And, for the moment at least -- I am safe.