Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Hello, Karen.

I'm standing on a hill in a meadow. Little purple flowers decorate the landscape. The sky is blue and only wisps of clouds stream along. It's a gorgeous day.

Except, I have no idea how I got here...

"Hello, Karen" his voice says, softly. I feel warm and welcome. I turn around to take in the view. There he sits. His long white robe flows just below his knees. His legs are strong. He's reclining on the hill. His sandals are made with a sinewy material; leather-like. I'm fascinated by the way they wrap themselves around his feet.

I let my gaze stroll upwards towards his face; handsome - with kind eyes. And long brown flowing hair...

"No! No! No! No!" I yell at him, "You are NOT doing THIS to ME!" The tears start to stream down my face. I'm furious.

He picks up a long blade of grass and puts it in his mouth. The only thing he's missing are sunglasses. Cool as a cucumber this one is.

"Come, sit beside me" he says. I cross my arms in complete defiance and stand there -- not taking a step. He ignores me for a good half-hour; enjoying the sun. Eventually he turns to me and says, "This will go a lot quicker if you actually allow the conversation to happen."

I march over to him, finger pointing; face flushed with anger "WHY are YOU doing THIS to me? Don't you know I have ENOUGH problems???"

But, instead of empathy, I get mockery. He lifts his head back and lets out a loud roaring laughter.

I stop. And stare. He continues to laugh before making eye contact with me. "What's so funny?" I ask quietly. I'm starting to feel self-conscious.

"Ahhh," he says as he catches his breath, "I forgot how self-centred one can be in human form. It's funny."

When he sees my genuine confusion, he extends an arm and motions for me to sit beside him on the hill. "I'm sorry - forgive me" he says, "I don't mean to offend you."

And so, begrudgingly, I sit beside him.

We both stare forwards into the distance for a while. I can feel his presence. Warm, encompassing, and strong. Like a real man...

The single lonely girl in me half-wishes all men were like this when you sat beside them. But then I shake my head, and mentally slap myself across my face --twice. What was I thinking?

"I'm really angry with you," I say finally -- breaking the silence.

He turns to listen, so I continue, "I was doing just fine until you showed up. I had this nice little blog going -- sharing some of my thoughts and insight. But now...now you turn up and I'm second guessing EVERYTHING. Up until now, I was good. I had some viewpoints on the world -- non-secular. Maybe people could actually swallow that; but now that you're popping up...I'M SCREWED!! The Christians and all the other bible thumpers are going to hate me because I've pretty much offended EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. And, anyone who's not Christian is going to be turned off too. You've JUST LABELLED my blog by showing up here -- AND IT'S NOT WHAT I WANTED!!!"

While he processes what I've just said, I take a look into his eyes. Kind, caring. I know he's actually listening. For a moment I let my thoughts trail back to whether or not he would date; because I've never really felt like this before. Somehow, he gets me.

While he takes his sweet time chewing his grass and deciding what he wants to say -- I start to contemplate what my life will be like committed to a mental institution for the rest of my life. Isn't that the deal? I mentally run through the checklist: See Jesus? Check! Schizophrenic break? Check! Life in a padded cell...

"I see," he says with a smile. Again, I feel like he's mocking me. I look down at the grass lightly blowing in the wind. I take a moment and feel the warm breeze on my face. Despite the consequences, I like it here. It's comforting.

"Am I having a schizophrenic break?" I whisper to him. I'm pretty sure I am.

His head falls backwards again, and this time -- he laughs even harder. When he's done, he wipes a tear from his eye.

"Karen," he says matter-of-fact, "you're funny."

Sigh. Great. Comedy night at the mental institution will never be better...

A few moments later, we begin to talk. I start to tell him all my worldly frustrations -- because it seems that he really wants to hear them. He had a pretty bad run on earth as well, so there's a bit of genuine empathy happening. He validates me. Reminds me what I signed up for -- and confirms that it's tough; and may in fact, get even tougher.

Eventually my self-deprecation turns to pity, then tears. And I weep. I weep for all the things my heart longs for; and all the things that the world has denied me.

He puts his arm around me, and despite my initial resistance -- I let him. Because, it seems, he wants to be there for me. And so, I weep some more. For all the times I've said things I didn't mean, and all the times I've done things I've regretted. And when I start to think about all the things I haven't done yet, I cry even harder.

"You're not suppose to be here," I say in between sobs, "people think you're a joke -- and besides, I'm not religious."

He kisses my forehead gently and tells me, "Neither am I," and for a moment I'm confused; but then -- I think about it. I really think about it. Ownership and labels are material, earthly things. And maybe religion is too.

I sit and enjoy the peace and camaraderie. I'm no longer angry that he visited me -- despite the consequences. And, in many ways, I feel bad for him. Maybe -- he really is misunderstood.

In any case, all I have to go on is this moment. And right here, right now, he's a friend. A kind spirit full of love and grace. And as I weep, I am grateful that he's here.

And as I sit here, contemplative, relaxed and healing -- I wonder how many other people walk this earth and feel misunderstood as well?

Maybe that's the key...to really see each other for what we are -- the good, the bad, the unaccomplished, and the endless possibilities contained in our hopes and dreams.